Share this page

Bishop and Clerks Lightstation

 
Location: on Bishop and Clerks Rocks near West Yarmouth, MA
Body of Water: Nantucket Sound
Photo by: Jim Tracy
Source: USBeacons

About Bishop and Clerks Lightstation

The location of the light is on Bishop and Clerks Rocks. The nearest city is West Yarmouth, MA. The station was first established in 1858. The current lighthouse was first lit in 1858.

The lighthouse is a white cylindrical tower with red band in the middle.

The tower has a flashing white light at a focal plane height of 45 ft above mean high water. The light has a nominal range of 14 nautical miles. The tower height is 30 ft. The light has a period of 6 seconds.

Open to the Public?: No    Active?: Yes

Identification number: 1-14490 (U.S.)
Identification number: J0426.68 (International)
ARLHS USA-058

In 1923, it was discontinued as an active lighthouse. Bishop and Clerks Light fell into poor condition so on September 11, 1952 the Coast Guard destroyed the tower. A day beacon and buoy now marks the location of the original lighthouse.

NOAA Nautical Chart 13237

A 'flashing' light is a light in which the total duration of light in a period is shorter than the total duration of darkness and the appearances of light (flashes) are usually of equal duration. So in the 6 second period, the light is on for less than 3 then off for more than 3.

Directions to Bishop and Clerks Lightstation from your Location


  © USBeacons.com