Share this page

Marblehead (Sandusky Bay) Light

 
Location: the north side of the entrance to Sandusky Bay near Marblehead, OH

About Marblehead (Sandusky Bay) Light

Website

The location of the light is the north side of the entrance to Sandusky Bay. The nearest city is Marblehead, OH. The station was first established in 1821. The current lighthouse was first lit in 1821.

The tower has a flashing green light at a focal plane height of 67 ft above mean high water. The light has a nominal range of 12 nautical miles. The tower height is 50 ft. The light has a period of 6 seconds.

Open to the Public?: Yes    Active?: Yes

Identification number: 7-5250 (U.S.)

The present Keeper’s House was constructed in 1880. In 1958, the light was automated. In 2000, the Marblehead Lighthouse Historical Society opened the museum.

A 'flashing' light is a light in which the total duration of light in a period is shorter than the total duration of darkness and the appearances of light (flashes) are usually of equal duration. So in the 6 second period, the light is on for less than 3 then off for more than 3.

Marblehead (Sandusky Bay) Light was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on Dec. 17, 1969, reference number 69000148.

Directions to Marblehead (Sandusky Bay) Light from your Location


  © USBeacons.com