Share this page

Matagorda Island Light

 
Location: the northeast end of Matagorda Island near Port O'Conner, TX
Body of Water: Gulf of Mexico

About Matagorda Island Light

Website

The location of the light is the northeast end of Matagorda Island. The nearest city is Port O'Conner, TX. The station was first established in 1852. The current lighthouse was first lit in 1873.

The lighthouse is a tapered cast iron tower.

The tower has a flashing white light at a focal plane height of 90 ft above mean high water. The tower height is 79 ft. The light has a period of 3 seconds.

Open to the Public?: Grounds Only    Active?: Yes

This lighthouse was the first built in Texas. During the Civil War, the Confederate States Navy tried to blow up the lighthouse to keep it out of Union hands. In 1873, the lighthouse was repaired and moved to its present position to avoid encroachment by the Gulf of Mexico.

The lighthouse is located in the Matagorda Island Wildlife Management Area.

A 'flashing' light is a light in which the total duration of light in a period is shorter than the total duration of darkness and the appearances of light (flashes) are usually of equal duration. So in the 3 second period, the light is on for less than 1.5 then off for more than 1.5.

Matagorda Island Light was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on Sept. 18, 1984, reference number 84001624.


Today's Conditions on Site

Astronomical Info.

Astronomical Dawn: 5:57 am
Sunrise: 7:19 am
Sunset: 5:54 pm
Astronomical Dusk: 7:16 pm

Local Marine Forecast.

There are no active watches, warnings or advisories 

Additional Conditions.

Directions to Matagorda Island Light from your Location


  © USBeacons.com