Share this page

Port Washington (Old) Light

 
Location: inland from the Port Washington Harbor near Port Washington, WI

About Port Washington (Old) Light

Website

The location of the light is inland from the Port Washington Harbor. The nearest city is Port Washington, WI. The station was first established in 1848. The current lighthouse was first lit in 1860.

The lighthouse is a square tower atop a dwelling.

Open to the Public?: Yes    Active?: No

In 2000, the Luxembourg Minister of Sites and Monuments visited the area. Upon touring the old light, he offered, on behalf of the Grand Duchy, to provide a replacement tower and lantern in order to restore the light to its original appearance, as a memorial to United States servicemen who fought in the tiny country in World War II. The historical society succeeded in raising the necessary funds to complete restoration, and in March 2002 the new tower arrived from Luxembourg and was installed; the restored light was dedicated on June 16, 2002. A replacement, newly made Fresnel lens was installed in 2007. The restored lighthouse contains a museum of lighthouse-keeping life.

Port Washington (Old) Light was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on Sept. 29, 1999, reference number 99001222.

Directions to Port Washington (Old) Light from your Location


  © USBeacons.com