Share this page

Walton Harbour Lighthouse

 
Location: northern side entrance to Walton Harbour near Walton, NS
Body of Water: Minas Basin

About Walton Harbour Lighthouse

The location of the light is northern side entrance to Walton Harbour. The nearest city is Walton, NS. The station was first established in 1873. The current lighthouse was first lit in 1873.

The lighthouse is a tapered square tower.

The tower had a occulting white light at a focal plane height of 60 ft above mean high water. The tower height is 20 ft.

Open to the Public?: Yes    Active?: No

The present lighthouse was built in 1873 by Timothy Parker, at a cost of $620.00. It is the only surviving lighthouse in Hants County. It was once the brightest lighthouse on the upper Bay of Fundy, guiding seagoing ships into the port of Walton.

Today, the lighthouse is maintained by the East-Hants Tourism Association.

An 'occulting' light is a light in which the total duration of light in a period is longer than the total duration of darkness and the interval of darkness (eclipses) are usually of equal duration. So in the second period, the light is on for more than 0 then off for less than 0.

Directions to Walton Harbour Lighthouse from your Location


  © USBeacons.com